Last week I spent my one and only day off trying to figure out what RPG Maker MV could possibly mean when it claims that its games work on mobile platforms, particularly Android. Despite working from morning to night, Googling each and every problem that came my way and trying at least 6 different methods (two of which were considered “official”), I made exactly zero progress that day.
Amazingly, my next search brought me to a program that, long story short, worked perfectly. While it’s mainly a commercial program, Website 2 APK Builder does have a free option that got me up and running just fine. Since I struggled so much, here’s how I did it for anyone who’s wondering:
- From RPG Maker MV, click File -> Deployment and export as Android/iOS.
- Download and install the free version of Website 2 APK Builder.
- Open it up. If it asks you for a key, just continue with free version.
- At the top-left, make sure “Local HTML Website” is checked. Give it a name.
- Near the bottom-left, click Choose Folder next to Directory of Local Website. Find the “www” folder created in Step 1.
- Change any other settings you want. Some might require the pro version, but for just testing like this, only the things I mentioned are necessary.
- Click Generate APK in the bottom-right and watch it go! It’s surprisingly fast, depending on how big your game is.
After this, you can install it on your system using the same methods mentioned in the manual, or however else you want. The point is, you now have a working APK file that any Android device can install. Unlike other methods I’ve seen, this shouldn’t result in any errors while you’re working or when you try to open the app. And again, you can get at least a basic one running completely free.